We will begin accepting regular applications on March 1, 2020 through our online application system. Applications and registrations are processed first-come, first-served on a weekly basis.
Conference Fee with Workshop: $695 through April 1, 2020 and $795 thereafter.
Application Requirements for:
Poetry, Fiction, and Creative Nonfiction Workshops
- For writers at any stage of development who work hard at their writing and want to better understand the creative act.
- All applicants are required to submit five to ten pages of poetry (single-spaced, one poem per page) or ten to twenty pages of prose (double-spaced) in chosen genre through the online application system. Include your name on your submission.
- If you plan to use your application submission for a manuscript consultation with workshop faculty, please see the style guide on the Manuscript Consultations page.
- Participants are selected on the basis of literary promise or accomplishment in the writing sample.
- Applications are processed first-come, first-served on a weekly basis until the workshop cap is reached. (There is no need to apply at midnight March 1, simply apply by Saturday, March 7.)
- Applications will be acknowledged promptly and applicants will be notified of their workshop status within 2 weeks or sooner.
- If workshops fill quickly, applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
- All workshops are limited to twelve participants.
- Applications and registrations are processed first-come, first-served on a weekly basis.
- If a workshop is filled, you may have the option of joining another workshop.
- Applications and writing samples must be submitted electronically through the Online Application.
- Manuscripts for the manuscript consultation option may be submitted post-application (up until the May 10 deadline) by clicking this link (under construction).
- Questions regarding the status of a submission should be directed to the Conference Coordinator by e-mailing email@example.com.
- Payment information is sent to you once your application has been accepted.
Workshop Registration Process
You will receive a response within two weeks and, if you are accepted, it will include a link to the Optivation system at Bemidji State University to pay online with a credit card (or you may mail us a check). At this point your seat in the workshop is held for two weeks. If we do not receive your completed registration and full payment of your conference fee we then send you a reminder. If you don’t register after that, we place you on a waiting list and open the seat to someone else. Scholarship applicants will be notified if their workshop is filling prior to the scholarship deadline in case they want to maintain a place in the workshop or on a waiting list.
When we receive your paid registration we guarantee your seat for the conference. We will send you a confirmation letter and some additional information (maps, etc.).
Auditors Track: only $180
This option does not include participation in a workshop. It does include access to all craft talks, afternoon events, evening readings, and the five conference meals (see daily schedule). This option is for writers at any stage of development who work hard at their writing and want to better understand the creative act. You will be exposed to and benefit from the knowledge and experience our teaching artists share in their morning craft talks and be inspired by their work at the evening readings. Auditors are also provided a space to gather and workshop with each other if they choose. Set aside the week for yourself in an incredibly affordable writer’s retreat. Housing on campus is $272 for the week. Come be a part of the writers’ conference community!
Manuscript Consultation: Due May 10
- $60 for a half hour conference with your workshop’s faculty member on a manuscript (up to 10 pages of poetry or 20 pages of prose).
- Please submit your manuscript through the online application system no later than May 10, 2020 or indicate if you desire to use your workshop application submission.
- There are only 8 manuscript consultations per workshop. Registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis for participants in each workshop.
- There is a $25 fee for 26 hours of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for workshop participants.
- A certificate from Bemidji State University will be provided upon completion of the conference.
Scholarship & Partnership Opportunities:
- We will begin accepting scholarship applications on February 1, 2020. The scholarship application deadline is February 20, 2020..
- Scholarships are awarded based on need and literary merit to lower financial barriers for those who want to engage in this unique arts learning opportunity.
- One $500 scholarship is awarded toward the conference fee in each of the following genres: creative nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. A $500 scholarship will also be offered to a Minnesota resident. The participant pays the balance.
- Honorable Mention scholarships will also be offered.
- To Apply: include in conference application a one-page (double-spaced) statement of what you hope to gain from the conference. There is no application fee.
- Scholarship recipients are ineligible for other discounts.
- Partnership Opportunities
- MNWC works with educational, institutional, and tribal partners to help bring aspiring writers who show promise to work with our award-winning writers.
- We offer matching funds to potential attendees who are sponsored by a qualifying institution. We have collaborated with MFA programs of national stature, regional tribal governments, local writing groups, and regional arts organizations to help fund worthy candidates.
- Individuals or institutions should contact MNWC Coordinator Mathew Hawthorne at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Refunds for Cancellations
Before May 10, 2020: A $50.00 cancellation fee will be deducted from the conference fee. The remainder of the fee will be refunded. All other fees will be fully refunded.
After May 10, 2020: Absolutely no refunds for the conference and housing fees will be made after May 10.